Online training is to help individuals make a small patch of forest on their own.
Objective of the training is to help the participants learn the Miyawaki method by understanding:
- The ethos
- Standard Operating Procedures (through documents and photographs)
- The journey of Afforestt (our expertise, experiences and challenges)
- Time: 4 hours X 2 days
Terms and conditions:
- This training is offered selectively, based on a 'Statement of Intent' submitted to Afforestt by people who are interested, followed by a phone/skype call. The selection will be based on background (personal and professional) of participants and scope of practical application of the training.
- Preference will be given to individuals with little or no experience in similar work, and/or owners of very small land areas (100-200 square meters) waiting to be afforested.
- Number of trainings offered per month are limited to 4/5.
- The training is not offered to large corporations or groups.
- Video based high speed internet essential.
- The training will have limited scope for outdoor/field work and is more theory based.
- Depending on the needs of the participant(s), the trainer(s) will either keep the module generic or site specific (via video conferencing).
- The training is an interactive, conversation based collaborative exercise between the trainer(s) and the participant(s).
- The Miyawaki method challenges most conventional schools of thought on plantation and afforestation, hence participants are required to be extremely open minded.
- Afforestt's scope of work here is limited to remote guidance only.
(Total 240 mins)
- 40 mins: Introduction to the Miyawaki method; its advantages and achievements
- 30 mins: Sequence of Activities
- 35 mins: Virtual site visit and design
- 35 mins: Preparations - Pre afforestation on site activities
- 60 mins: Soil and Amendments
- 40 mins: Addressing key questions
(Total 240 mins)
- 60 mins: Species selection
- 30 mins: Material (consumable and non consumable)
- 30 mins: Compost case study
- 60 mins: Forest creation (final execution)
- 30 mins: Maintenance and Monitoring
- 30 mins: Final wrap up
The course includes:
- Live dedicated online training with an expert from Aforestt.
- Soft copies of all SOP documents
- Soft copies of important Project Management documents
- Soft copies of reports, species lists and plans from past projects of Afforestt
$500 USD, to be paid in advance.
If interested, send us your brief profile and a 'Statement of Intent' (150-200 words) on firstname.lastname@example.org. Mention 'Online Training' in the subject line.
Future online trainings
First slot available
Date:October 30th and 31st
Time:6:00 am to 10:00 am (Indian time) on both days.
Second slot available
Date:November 25th and 26th
Time:6:00 pm to 10:00 pm (Indian time) on both days.
If you have attended the Afforestt online training and need our on-ground assistance to create a demo-patch of 100 square meters, then here’s what you need to do:
- Prepare the site as per the training.
- Organize all the biomass.
- Organize saplings, other materials, manpower and machinery.
- Invite an Afforestt representative who will stay with you on-site and help you create the demo patch.
How will this help you?
- You will practically implement everything learned during the online training.
- This first forest patch will be your “proof of concept” and could become the showcase project that helps you find more potential sites and opportunities to create more such forests.
- Identify strengths and areas of improvement for future projects, for e.g., most suitable species, input costs, local suppliers and feasibility.
- Utilize practical knowledge and expertise of the Afforestt representative present with you on-site.
- If the demo forest is being created in a region/city where Afforestt has worked before, then you will get access to the available species lists, research/documentation done and supplier contacts.
Terms and Conditions:
- You should have a piece of land - 100 square meters readily available.
- Minimum requirements – running water, fencing, exposure to sunlight and maintenance staff for watering and deweeding.
- Only the trainee(s) should be present on-site. Additional people present will only include the manpower involved.
- There will be no deviation from the methodology.
- The species research and soil analysis is to be done by the trainee as per the online training attended, with limited assistance from Afforestt.
- The final approval to on-site demo is subject to how well prepared the trainees are, in terms of, site-readiness, material, manpower and machine availability. The preparations will be vetted by Afforestt before giving their approval to helping with the demo. This will be done over phone and email.
- Afforestt’s involvement will be limited only to guidance and knowledge sharing. Actual creation of the demo patch will be supervised and led by the trainee.
- The entire duration i.e. 2 days will be focused on creating a perfect 100 square meter forest. No presentations, workshops, talks or sessions will be a part of demo forest creation.
- Return airfare, local travel and accommodation is to be arranged by the trainee.
- 100% fee is to be paid as advance.
- Duration: 2 days
- Cost: 2,000 USD